Trapping is a Hunter specialized skill in which the player places traps in specific locations scattered across all three worlds in order to catch critters and their shiny variants.
In order to start trapping, you need to have completed the quest "Pelt for the Pelt God" for the Lord of the Hunt and accept the quest "Frogecoin to the MOON!". This quest opens Hunting Season for Froge critters, allowing them to spawn in the Jungle Perimeter.
Each Lord of the Hunt quest allows the next critter to spawn somewhere in the world. Critters DO NOT SPAWN until you've opened their Hunting Season. Hunting Season quests are account-wide, so unlocking a critter trapping spot on one character unlocks it for all of your characters.
Once you have opened a critter trapping location and have a Trap Box Set equipped, you can begin trapping. Stand in an area where critters are spawning and tap the button at the top left of your screen to select a trap and trap timer.
At first you will only have access to Cardboard Traps from the Frostbite Towndra Vendor. After collecting your first Poison Froge, you can craft Silkskin Traps which allows you to trap Shiny critters much easier and set down more traps at once. See Trap Efficiency for a comparison table of different traps and their bonuses.
- Each higher tier trap lets you place +1 more trap down than the trap before it. These extra traps can be placed down in the same area, or you can place them at different critter trapping locations.
- The Call Me Ash equippable Alchemy Bubble also allows you to place +1 more trap. Unequipping the bubble will not remove extra traps which have already been placed down.
- Equipping a higher tier trap allows you to place any lower tier trap down. Use the left and right arrows at the top of the trap placement UI to select which type of trap to place.
- When collecting a trap, the critters fall on the ground at your character's feet instead of going directly into your inventory. Do not leave the area before looting them from the ground.
- Collecting a trap manually removes it from the ground, it must be placed down again to trap more critters.
- In order to move your traps to a new location, you must first remove them from their current location. Tap on a trap, then tap the Trash icon. You cannot remove traps remotely.
Collecting using Eagle Eye
- Using the Hunter talent Eagle Eye, you are able to collect and reset all traps for all characters remotely, giving partial trapping XP/critter quantity. Critters from all traps drop at the Hunter's feet.
- Eagle Eye replaces all traps without removing them, which means that you can use the alchemy bubble Call Me Ash to place an extra trap on each character and not need to re-equip the bubble each time you collect traps.
- Using the Talent Book Library to increase the max level of Eagle Eye is recommended to increase the quantity of XP and critters collected. Eagle Eye combined with the Poison Tincture Alchemy Vial lets you go past 100% collection rate, despite the description on the Vial.
Tips & Tricks
- You can view how much time is left on your character's traps in Items > Skill Info > Trapping. Eagle Eye lets you view the timers for the traps of all characters on your account.
- Certain trapping areas do not offer a lot of room to work with. Having lower movespeed makes it easier to place traps closer together.
- Your trapping efficiency (and therefore QTY of bonus critters), EXP and Shiny Chance (from sources other than cards) are saved when you place down a trap.
- This means that if your efficiency goes up and you want more bonus critters, you'll need to replace your traps.
- This also means that if your efficiency goes down after you've placed your traps (resetting talents, unequipping traps/alchemy bubble/obols), you get to keep the values that were saved when you placed the trap!
- Shiny Chance cards can be equipped during trap collection to boost your Shiny odds.
- Trap timers will NOT progress if you are sitting on the Character Swap screen. If you are AFK on all characters, fully close the game.
- If you do not have enough talent points on your Hunter for Eagle Eye alongside your normal build, it can be placed in a second Talent Preset. If you go this route, you must return to town and swap presets to collect traps.
Having low Trapping efficiency means you will get a baseline of 10 critters per 20 minute trap (this is increased by the QTY multiplier of the traps you place down). Base XP listed below is for the minimum amount of 10 critters and does not go up with bonus critters. Base Shiny Chance is per trap, and is not affected by quantity of critter or length of time, only Shiny-specific bonuses.
|Name||Img||Base XP||Base Shiny Chance||Shiny||Eff for Bonus Critters||Location|
|Froge||20||5%||Poison Froge||35||Jungle Perimeter|
|Crabbo||80||3%||Mutant Crabbo||400||Salty Shores|
|Scorpie||250||2%||Crescent Scorpie||1,500||The Ring|
|Mousey||500||1%||Nakeo Moleo||3,500||Rats Nest|
|Pingy||1250||0.3%||Eternal Lord of The Undying Ember||15 K||The Stache Split|
|Bunny||1600||0.15%||Purbunni||45 K||Thermonuclear Climb|
|Dung Beat||2000||0.06%||Jade Scarab||100 K||Efaunts Tomb|
|Honker||2500||0.02%||Diamond Duck||200 K||Wam Wonderland|
|Frostbite Towndra Vendors, Pelt for the Pelt God|
170151 70 15
|Smithing, Recipe from Task Unlocks Tab 3|
172831 72 83
|Smithing, Recipe from Task Unlocks Tab 3|